Fair Value Measurements
|6 Months Ended|
Jun. 30, 2019
|Fair Value Measurements|
|Fair Value Measurements||
6. Fair Value Measurements
The Company measures the fair value of financial instruments using a fair value hierarchy that prioritizes the inputs to valuation techniques used to measure fair value into three broad levels. Each level of input has different levels of subjectivity and difficulty involved in determining fair value.
The Company’s financial assets and liabilities that are measured at fair value on a recurring basis as of June 30, 2019 and December 31, 2018 by level within the fair value hierarchy, are as follows:
There were no transfers between Level 1, 2 or 3 during the three and six months ended June 30, 2019 or June 30, 2018.
The following table includes a summary of changes in fair value of the Company’s warrant liability measured at fair value using significant unobservable inputs (Level 3) for the three and six months ended June 30, 2019 and 2018:
The changes in fair value of the warrant liability are recorded in change in fair value of warrant liability in the condensed consolidated statements of operations.
A summary of the weighted average significant unobservable inputs (Level 3 inputs) used in measuring the Company’s warrant liability that is categorized within Level 3 of the fair value hierarchy as of June 30, 2019 and December 31, 2018 is as follows:
The following table includes a summary of changes in fair value of the Company’s derivative liability measured at fair value using significant unobservable inputs (Level 3) for the three and six months ended June 30, 2019 and June 30, 2018:
As of June 30, 2018, the Company measured the fair value of the derivative by estimating the fair value of the convertible notes payable at certain conversion points. To calculate the fair value of the convertible notes payable with the conversion feature, the Company calculated the present value of the convertible notes payable upon conversion at a qualifying initial public offering in the second quarter of 2018, and the present value of the convertible notes payable at non-qualifying initial public offering in the last quarter of 2018. The Company estimated a probability of 75% for the occurrence of a qualifying initial public offering in the second quarter of 2018 and a probability of 25% in the last quarter of 2018. The Company’s derivative liabilities were measured at fair value using the Probability Weighted Expected Return valuation methodology.
As of June 30, 2019, the Company measured the fair value of the derivative by estimating the fair value of the Series A Convertible Preferred Stock as if conversion occurred on June 30, 2019. The Company calculated value of the conversion feature using the Fixed Conversion Price of the Series A Preferred Stock, as adjusted to 95% of the volume weighted average price of the common stock for the previous ten trading days and the specified floor price of $1.50.
The entire disclosure for the fair value of financial instruments (as defined), including financial assets and financial liabilities (collectively, as defined), and the measurements of those instruments as well as disclosures related to the fair value of non-financial assets and liabilities. Such disclosures about the financial instruments, assets, and liabilities would include: (1) the fair value of the required items together with their carrying amounts (as appropriate); (2) for items for which it is not practicable to estimate fair value, disclosure would include: (a) information pertinent to estimating fair value (including, carrying amount, effective interest rate, and maturity, and (b) the reasons why it is not practicable to estimate fair value; (3) significant concentrations of credit risk including: (a) information about the activity, region, or economic characteristics identifying a concentration, (b) the maximum amount of loss the entity is exposed to based on the gross fair value of the related item, (c) policy for requiring collateral or other security and information as to accessing such collateral or security, and (d) the nature and brief description of such collateral or security; (4) quantitative information about market risks and how such risks are managed; (5) for items measured on both a recurring and nonrecurring basis information regarding the inputs used to develop the fair value measurement; and (6) for items presented in the financial statement for which fair value measurement is elected: (a) information necessary to understand the reasons for the election, (b) discussion of the effect of fair value changes on earnings, (c) a description of [similar groups] items for which the election is made and the relation thereof to the balance sheet, the aggregate carrying value of items included in the balance sheet that are not eligible for the election; (7) all other required (as defined) and desired information.
Reference 1: http://fasb.org/us-gaap/role/ref/legacyRef